Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Warning: this post is a rant.

Today we were discussing the use of drugs at work. It was between Ben*(my boss) and Jake* (full-time member).
It started when one girl from One Zach came and purchased a drink and Jake said, "I used to think she was nice and good looking before I saw her smoking one day"
I replied with "So, because someone smokes this means they're not a good person, nor attractive?" (Little did Jake know I'm an occasional smoker, thankfully, Ben knew and is a smoker himself)
Jake said, "Yeah, it means they're halfwits."

Somehow we got onto the subject of marijuana and Jake who is three years my senior announced he's never touched it. (Which I'm never ever saying is a bad thing, I think it's a very good thing.)
We got into an argument and pretty much Jake's view was that anyone who smokes or does anything considered wrong by him, are stupid and are half wits who can't be very nice people.
Now, I've been in a spot of trouble these past fews years and I'm the first to admit I've smoked and touched things I maybe shouldn't have. Also, I have friends who're actually drug pushers, or who take heavy drugs weekendly.
Now, these people are some of the smartest people I know and absolutely beautiful people. They've just been through more crap than the average person has and when it all gets too much we do things in order to cope. It's a survival tactic.
And basically, I understand where Jake is coming from, because before these past few years, I used to be exactly the same as him. Close minded and judgemental. I disliked anyone who did drugs or smoked.
You've honestly got to go through something similar to what me and my friends have, it's a real eye opener. It allows you to accept so many things and understand a whole lot more.

I'm just saying, there's usually a reason to everything we do.
I don't believe for one second that everything happens for a reason, but I do believe that everything we do, we do for a reason. - From something we've learnt during the past or something else.

It's both sad and exciting to know we don't have as much control over our actions as we like to think we do.

Basically, think instead about WHY people do what they do, instead of always jumping and judging WHAT they're doing.

2 comments: